Industry in India is one of the largest Industries in the world and growing fastest
globally. India manufactures over 17.5 million vehicles (both 2 & 4 wheeler
segment) per year. It is the world’s second largest manufacturer of 2 wheelers and
7th largest manufacturer of passenger & commercial vehicles in the world.
According to the recent report, India is set to overtake Brazil to become the 6th
largest producer in passenger vehicles in the world. As of 2010 India is home to
40 million passenger vehicles. Obviously, owners of such a large number of vehicles
face some problems In this sector, NCH is receiving complaints in the range of 250–300
Complaint ratio between 2 wheeler and Four wheelers is 60:40. Two wheeler manufactures
against whom most complaints are received at NCH are Bajaj Auto Ltd., Yamaha Motors
Ltd., Hero Honda Motors Ltd., TVS Motors Ltd., Honda Motorcycles & Scooters
Ltd. etc. Among 4 wheelers , Maruti Udyog Ltd. , Tata Motors Ltd. , Hyundai Motors
Ltd ., GM etc.
Frequently Occurring Problems:
The General complaints are:
• Actual average output obtained is very low against the claim of companies in
their publicity campaigns.
• Car purchased new but company’s manufacturing date is very old.
• After purchase of car/motor cycle there is abnormal delay in getting documents
viz, RCs, Smart Card, Insurance papers etc.
• Dealers are charging for repairing work in spite of the deals being within the
• Companies are selling old version of car as new model suppressing the facts
• Consumers are charged both VAT & Service charges together. General consumers
are raising questions whether is it legal for claiming Service & VAT charges
• Problems faced during warranty period are not attended to by the dealer.
• Though the customers are paying full amount on purchase but the receipts are given
in discounted figure.
• Manufacturing faults accrued during warranty period which may cause major accident
(Failure of power steering while driving etc.) for which company is not taking any
• There is no opportunity to cross-check the prices indicated against the items
shown in the bill of repair provided by the service station.
• Misleading advertisement claiming high performance/ high average before selling
their product which appears in correct when put to actual use.
Advocacy by NCH:
As it is seen that the respective Manufacturers with their appointed dealers are
responsible to attend and rectify the defects or solving any other issues related
to their products but in reality it has been observed that in several cases Manufacturers
of the vehicles are lingering the process with number of excuses making it difficult
for the customer.
NCH has been advising the consumers that before filing any case to the consumer
court they should at least take off their problem to the Industry Association named
SIAM ( – Society for Indian Automobile Manufacturer ,Director General, Core 4B ,
5th Floor, IHC, Lodi Road, ND-110003 ) Convergence @ nch (online redressal system):
NCH has tied up with 10 automobile manufacturing companies like, TATA Motors, Mahindra
& Mahindra, Hero Honda, Honda Motorcycles & Scooters India Ltd. etc. and
continuing this program to redress consumer grievance.
Redressal Channel –
Ist Tier redressal: Complaint should be filed to the Authorized
Dealer from where the purchase deal has been conducted. If it fails, take up directly
to the Company’s Regional CRC with a copy to H/Q of the company.
2nd Tier redressal: One Trade Association exists namely S.I.A.M
(Society for Indian Automobile Manufacturer), most of the Indian Automobile Manufacturer
are the members of the Association. Issue can be taken up with them.
3rd Tier redressal: It is observed that there is no further Appealing
authority or Regulator in this sector. Consumers have no other alternative but to
approach the consumer courts.